Position Required Training Policy
Objective: To provide a quality Scouting program through volunteers who understand Scouting’s resources, methods, policies, and requirements.
Policy: All registered leaders must complete Youth Protection Training and the Basic Training required for their position in order to register with the Boy Scouts of America.
Application of Policy: Adult volunteer leadership registered as members or seeking to register as members of the Boy Scouts of America within the Council who are deemed “direct contact leaders” and committee chairs.
Definition of "Direct Contact Leader":
- Cub Scout: Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster, and Den Leaders (all Cub Scout programs).
- Boy Scout: Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster
- Varsity Scout: Coach and Assistant Coach
- Venturing: Advisor and Assistant Advisor
- Sea Scout: Skipper and Mate
- Exploring: Advisor and Assistant Advisor
- The Council schedules multiple trainings throughout the year to assist volunteers in completing the training.
- Volunteers may schedule a time to use a Council computer to take the online training during normal business hours and at Scout Camp during available time periods.
- The unit may have a registered volunteer attend a “Train the Trainer” training session to become a trainer for the unit, then conduct the required training within the unit according to Council guidelines.
- All direct contact leaders and committee chairman must complete youth protection and the online basic training for their position prior to submitting their adult application, or attend a district training session and submit a copy of their training certificate issued at the training.
- The certificate of completion (online certificate or issued trained card) must accompany the adult application when submitted to Council.
- All committee chairman must take youth protection and the online portion of the required basic training prior to submitting their adult application.
- All direct contact leaders must take youth protection and the required basic training prior to submitting their adult application. They must then complete the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills course within 1 year of registering to remain registered with the BSA.
- New direct contact leaders must submit the training certificates when registering and the Outdoor Certificate at the rechartering period one year after registering.
Venturing, Varsity Scouts, Sea Scouts and Exploring
- Direct contact leaders must complete youth protection and the required basic training for their position prior to submitting their adult application. Advisors of Varsity Scout Troops and Venturing Crews that have an outdoor program must complete the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills course within 1 year of registering to remain registered with the BSA.
- Certificate of completion must be submitted with adult application as appropriate.